How Deep Breathing Can Transform Your Life
We have all heard that deep breathing can be beneficial for our health. But have you ever wondered why? Let’s look at it from two perspectives – scientific and spiritual.
From a scientific perspective, deep breathing has a number of benefits for your health, mainly because our body loves oxygen and deep breathing helps fill your lungs completely, thus regulating the flow of oxygen to the body.
For a lot of people in today’s world, deep breathing can seem unnatural and awkward. In a society obsessed with flat stomachs, shallow breathing has become the norm. But shallow breathing is harmful because the lower part of your lungs doesn’t get enough air and this increases your anxiety levels.
From a spiritual perspective, you must have heard the popular expression ‘we live as long as our life is destined to the counts of our breath’. A lot of yogic and spiritual schools of thought put heavy emphasis on breathing. They say our life is already accounted for a certain number of breaths. If you are a strong believer of this, deep breathing can help you live longer — because each breath will be longer than usual. If you breathe five breaths in a minute, through deep breathing you can make five breaths last for five minutes. Hence, you live longer!
Look at it from any perspective, scientific or spiritual, you can’t deny that deep breathing is enormously beneficial. From the many benefits, here are a few –
- Releases Toxins: The human body is designed to release 70% of its toxins through breathing. (Source). Hence, if you breathe properly, you can ensure that your body is releasing its toxins effectively.
- Relieves Tension: Have you ever felt insanely angry and then calmed down after some deep, heavy breathing? That’s the power of deep breathing. It immediately relieves your mind.
- Relaxes Muscles: As the flow of oxygen to your body improves, it helps a lot of cells regenerate. This helps loosen up your muscles.
- Improves Digestion: When you breathe deeply, your diaphragm movement gently massages the stomach, liver, pancreas and small intestine. This helps in improving your digestion.
- Builds Immunity: Oxygen flows in our body through the bloodstream, by attaching itself to the haemoglobin. This improves the blood circulation and builds immunity.
- Strengthens Heart: Since there is enough oxygen traveling through the blood, the heart doesn’t have to work as hard. Hence, it relaxes and strengthens itself while the lungs share some of its pressure.
- Elevates the Mood: There are a few pleasure-inducing neurochemicals in the brain that are responsible for elevating our mood. Deep breathing increases the number of neurochemicals and stimulates their release.
- Builds Energy: When your heart, digestive system and neural system are all happy and healthy, it automatically boosts your energy and feeling of well-being.
With so many benefits on so many levels, why would anybody not tap into the benefits of deep breathing?