The King of Fruits is Back – Organic vs. Processed Mangoes
“Health requires healthy food.”- Roger Williams
It’s that time of the year again! The king of fruits is out in the market and we can’t wait to get our hands on one. There’s no arguing that we all love mangoes but, in the last few years, there has been a new trend of preference with organic mangoes stepping in.
Organic mangoes are becoming more and more popular. They are produced by organic farming which avoids the use of pesticides, fertilizers and preservatives. Processed mangoes are usually grown using fertilizers and have additives and chemicals to prevent bacterial growth, make them ripen quickly and last longer.
Clearly, organic mangoes are the safer bet. Here’s why:
Benefits of Organic Mangoes
- Rich in nutrition — organic mangoes have more nutritional value
- Prevent cancer (antioxidant compounds help fight against cancer)
- May help with diabetes as organic mangoes have less sugar.
- Improve digestion as they are toxin free.
- Boost the immune system
- Taste better
- Fresh and not preserved
Risks of Processed Mangoes
- Processing removes some of the nutrients and vitamins.
- Processed and modified mangoes may cause infertility and can damage some of our organs.
- Excess sugar and fats are unhealthy.
- Change in colour and taste of mangoes due to toxins.
- Synthetic chemicals can cause obesity and heart disease.
- Processed mangoes can be identified by their lack of uniform colour.
- Place the mango in bucket of water, if it sinks to the bottom it’s good, if not it is prematurely harvested.
- Processed mangoes appear dry, less juicy and lack the natural fragrance.
- The taste of an artificially ripened mango is not uniform and not very sweet.
Now that you know the many benefits of organic mangoes, go grab a few and tell us how you found them!
682 total views, 3 views today