As babies approach their first birthday, they can learn to drink
from a cup and no longer need the breast or bottle. Whole cow's milk
can be started. DO NOT use reduced fat or skim milk before age 2
because it does not have enough fat for toddlers. After age 2,
reduced fat or skim milk may be used.
When to wean from the breast or formula?
• About one year old, babies can be weaned from the breast and
bottle and start drinking whole cow's milk from a sipper cup.
• If you wean your breast fed baby from the breast before one year,
you will need to use an iron fortified infant formula because whole
cow's milk is not suitable for children less than 12 months old.
• For breast-fed babies, you do not have to wean from the breast to
• You can wean from the breast straight to a sipper cup.
• Weaning from the breast is a personal decision between you and
• It is recommended that you nurse for at least one year.
Bottle or cup?
• Toddlers are able to learn how to use sipper cups.
• They generally do very well with sipper cups or sipper-straw cups.
• At 10-15 months of age, introduce your baby to a sipper cup. There
are many varieties available. They are convenient when traveling and
do not spill as easily as a regular open cup.
• Generally, it is not advised for children to use a bottle after 15
months of age
CALL 1061 OR SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL