Happy International Self-Care Day!
If you’re the kind of person who always prioritizes work/ family/ friends over yourself, then this day is for you.
International Self-Care Day, observed on the 24th of July every year, is a reminder to us all that we are our own best caretakers. The WHO defines self-care as “what people do for themselves to establish and maintain health, and to prevent and deal with illness. It is a broad concept encompassing hygiene (general and personal), nutrition (type and quality of food eaten), lifestyle (sporting activities, leisure etc), environmental factors (living conditions, social habits, etc.) socio-economic factors (income level, cultural beliefs, etc.) and self-medication.”
The International Self-Care Foundation proposed a framework for self-care that can easily be followed by anyone who wishes to take steps towards a better lifestyle.
- Health Literacy: The ability to acquire, understand and avail basic health info and services needed to remain in good health.
- Physical & Mental Self-Awareness: Being aware of your own personal data such as Body Mass Index (BMI), blood pressure, cholesterol level, etc.
- Physical Activity: Getting at least a moderate amount of exercise by means of walking, playing sports, or working out.
- Eating Right: Following a balanced and nutritious diet with an appropriate calorie intake.
- Risk Avoidance / Mitigation: This means staying away and/or minimizing anything that may be a health hazard, such as consumption of tobacco and alcohol, unsafe sex and even overexposure to sunlight.
- Good Hygiene: This covers everything from washing yourself to washing your food and keeping your surroundings clean.
- Responsible use of goods, services and medications: Being aware of the dangers of the things you use and using them in a responsible and judicious manner.
While that’s what WHO and ISF have to say on the topic, self-care has slowly become synonymous with doing something that gives you mental peace or gives you a break from the rigours of daily life. What is YOUR idea of a perfect self-care day? What do you do when you need to get away from all the hustle and bustle? Let us know in the comments!