- neurology (14)
- Cardiac Sciences (12)
- oncology (11)
- Surgical Experts (10)
- Emergency Care (9)
- General Medicine (8)
- nephrology (7)
- Gynecology (5)
- orthopedics (5)
- Urology (4)
- Blood Donors (2)
- liver health (2)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Doctors Community (1)
- maternity (1)
- Plastic Surgery (1)
- Gastroenterology (1)
- Coronavirus (1)
- Ophthalmology (1)
Questions to Ask Your Doctor before Going for Knee Replacement Surgery
Healthy knees are necessary for balance and performing day-to-day activities. The knee joint can be damaged by injuries or arthritis. When nonsurgical remedies such as medications and physical therapy fail, a knee replacement surgery may be carried out as a safe option to relieve pain and deformity. The surgery involves the replacement of the damaged bone parts with metal implants that lend the required support. Several tests are conducted prior to the surgery to ensure that you are the right candidate. Some people might need to perform pre-operative strengthening exercises or undergo weight loss before the procedure to enhance surgery results. Knee surgery is a big decision and it’s important to have your queries answered to know what to expect from the surgery. Here are a few questions to ask your doctor before going for a knee replacement surgery:
For Understanding the Implant
- Is the prosthesis chosen ideal for me? How many patients have been treated using the same implant?
- Where is the device manufactured? Is it available only in this brand or are there better brands available? Do you have any contacts with the maker of the prosthesis that you have chosen for me?
- How long will the implant last? Is there anything that I should know about? Is the device FDA approved?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this device in comparison to others?
- Are there any long term or short term complications involved such as clicking, breakage or the device not working right?
For Understanding the Surgical Approach
- Where and what size of the incision will be made?
- What is the type of surgical approach that you are going to take?
- Is it going to be a computer-assisted method?
- How long will it take to complete the surgery?
For Understanding Risks and Complications
- What would be the infection rate? (0.5 percent or less is considered better)
- What are the risks involved? What are my chances of facing complications?
- What type of anesthesia will I be put under? Are there any risks involved?
For Understanding Recovery
- How long will I have to stay in the hospital?
- How long will it take for me to completely recover? What does the recovery process entail?
- How much pain will I need to bear post the surgery? Will the pain subside when I reach home?
- What can I do to manage the pain?
- Will I have any movement restrictions or limitations? How long is it going to last?
- Are there any activities that need to be avoided? When can I restart such activities?
- How do you expect my new knee to function after a year?
- Are there any follow-up appointments required? If yes, how frequent?
For any issues related to the joints, it’s advisable to not compromise and visit the best hospital for orthopedic in Nagpur or elsewhere for the treatment.