Bariatric Surgery: 8 Ways to Prepare For It
Bariatric surgery is the collective term for gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgeries. It involves making changes to your digestive system to aid in weight loss. It is considered as an option for those who are facing issues with weight management despite exercising and dieting and as a consequence are facing health problems. While some bariatric procedures limit the amount of food you can eat, others restrict your body’s ability to absorb nutrients. Some procedures do both.
Although bariatric surgery can benefit in multiple ways, it’s a major procedure that may pose some serious risks and side effects. Additionally, it requires strong determination and changes in diet as well as regular exercise for long-term success. And similar to any other major surgery, it also requires some preparation for it to work. The better you prepare, the easier the transition will be. Here are some best ways to prepare for a bariatric surgery, as recommended by some of the best bariatric surgery hospitals in India:
- Learn about weight loss surgery: Although your doctor might have already given you enough information, it’s still useful to read books, attend support groups, view websites and talk to others who have gone through the surgery to set your expectations right, know the risks and the lifestyle changes required.
- Quit smoking if you do and discontinue use of all tobacco and nicotine products: The risk of complications during and after the surgery increase when you smoke or use tobacco or other nicotine products. You must remain tobacco and nicotine free for a minimum of three months before surgery.
- Make changes in your diet: Ideally, your diet must include three regular meals and one to two small snacks a day. Do not skip your breakfast and plan your last meal four hours before bedtime. Increase intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, protein and eliminate high fat foods, sugar, fast food and restaurant meals.
- Drink more water and limit all other beverages: Adults must drink at least 64 ounces of water per day. Make sure you drink enough water and eliminate all sources of liquid calories including sodas, energy drinks, alcohol etc. Also eliminate caffeinated and carbonated beverages from your diet.
- Begin an exercise routine: Getting into an exercise routine shall help as you approach your bariatric surgery date. If you are physically inactive, begin small but stay consistent. Short walks, cycling, chair exercises can make a lot of difference. Once you have found the activity that you enjoy, focus on consistency instead of intensity and gradually build it up.
- Commit to not gaining additional weight: It is important to do all that is under your control to ensure that you don’t gain any additional weight. Avoid overeating and discuss all your concerns with your doctor.
- Change your relationship with food: Understand how your body reacts to what you eat. Increase your awareness and eat mindfully. Focus on eating slowly while chewing your food thoroughly till the last bite. Try to eliminate binge eating when you are tired, bored or stressed.
- Focus on your mental and emotional health: Think about all the contributory factors that have led to your weight gain. List down the things that you can work upon and if possible maintain a diary to journal your progress.
Remember that making changes to your lifestyle and eating habits might take time. Start small but set realistic goals for yourself. This way, you will be best prepared for your bariatric surgery in Hyderabad at CARE Hospitals.